Fuel Tax - IFTA
- A single Fuel Tax license authorizes your vehicles to travel in all member jurisdictions.
- A single tax return details your operations in each of the member jurisdictions.
- Companies undergo fewer audits, generally performed only by tax examiners from one taxing jurisdiction.
Who Must File?
An interstate motor carrier operating "qualified motor vehicles" between at least 2 member jurisdictions (The 48 contiguous states of the US and 10 Canadian provinces) must have an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license and decals issued by their base jurisdiction.
If you have the IFTA license, you must file the Quarterly IFTA Return to your base jurisdiction.
Qualified motor vehicle means a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles used, designed, or maintained for the transportation of persons or property having:
- Two axles and a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds;
- Two axles and a registered weight exceeding 26,000 pounds;
- Three or more axles regardless of weight; or
- A combination weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
Base jurisdiction means the member jurisdiction where:
- Qualified motor vehicles are based for vehicle registration purposes;
- Operational control and operational records of the licensee’s qualified motor vehicles are maintained or can be made available in case of an audit; and
- Some mileage is accrued by qualified motor vehicles within the fleet travelling through that jurisdiction
What is Required?
The following information is required on the IFTA quarterly tax return:
- Total miles, taxable and nontaxable, traveled by the licensee’s qualified motor vehicles in all jurisdictions, IFTA and non-IFTA, including trip permit miles;
- Total gallons of fuel consumed, taxable and nontaxable, by the licensee’s qualified motor vehicles in all jurisdictions, IFTA and non-IFTA;
- Total miles and taxable miles traveled in each member jurisdiction;
- Taxable gallons consumed in each member jurisdiction;
- Tax-paid gallons purchased in each member jurisdiction; and
- Current tax rates for each member jurisdiction.
Express Truck Tax
$9.90?! That’s it? Fantastic. This is the first time in 18 years I haven’t had to go to the IRS office. I love you guys!- Debbie L, Alabama
Thank you so much for your help. You made it real easy.- Jamar T, New York
Last time I used some other provider and it took over a week to file my return. With you it took less than an hour to file a fleet of 100 trucks. Where were you all this time? I am glad I found you.- Lisa N, Tennessee
I appreciate your time. It’s great to have this kind of support!- Mario M, Oregon
This is GREAT software. Great. It’s so self-explanatory. I’m very impressed. It’s like the TurboTax* of 2290s.- Vernice M, Oklahoma
This is the first time I’m doing this and it’s super easy. I called the other guys and nobody answered the phone. You guys picked up right away. So far I’m very happy and I will be recommending you to my friends. Thank you so much!- Joe G, Ohio
Thank you so much for your help. I overpaid with ***2290 and they wanted to charge me to fix my VIN number. Not only did you guys let me E-File my VIN correction, but you let me do it for FREE. I can’t thank you enough!- Hank P, Pennsylvania
...Wow, I wasn’t expecting anyone to actually answer the phone. I called three other guys and nobody answered. You picked up after the first ring. I wish your company could do ALL my taxes!- Gregg A, Nevada