What is VIN Correction?
- Mistakes happen. When you have Vehicle identification numbers of up to 17 characters with numbers and alphabets mixed, mistakes happen. For example, You type 5 instead of S. To err is human.
- You file form 2290 and pay $550 to IRS and get your Schedule 1. You takeit to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) or the Carrier, then you realize, that the Schedule 1 has the wrong VIN. What do you do?
Thank IRS and ExpressTruckTax
- IRS introduced VIN correction using form 2290 in 2009 - couple years after introducing Efiling of Form 2290. So once you make a mistake in VIN, you can send an amended Form 2290 to IRS and get the Schedule 1 corrected.
- But the bad news is that VIN Correction Form 2290 can’t be Efiled, must be printed and mailed in. It takes 4-6 weeks to get the corrected Schedule 1 from IRS.
- All changed in 2011, when ExpressTruckTax working with IRS was able to Efile VIN Correction and was able to get the corrected Schedule1 in minutes.
Is it really Free?
- ExpressTruckTax wanted to offer this Efiling of VIN Correction for free to everyone irrespective of if they used them in the original filing or not. They opened the flood gate to original paper filers and others who used other service providers.
- According to James Harris, Director of Tax Services at ExpressTruckTax, “Mistakes happen and we want the users to enjoy the ease of efiling and get the corrected Schedule 1 in minutes”
- To date, hundreds have used ExpressTruckTax Free Efiling of VIN Correction and got their Schedule 1 in minutes.
- Create an account with ExpressTruckTax or if you are one of the thousands of people who are already users of ExpressTruckTax, sign in with your email id and your password.
- If you are new, you need to enter your basic business details before proceeding.
- You will be taken to the dashboard, from here click “Create Return”. You will be presented with 3 options. Choose the option “2290 Amendment including VIN Correction” and further choose VIN Correction.
- You will have two choices now: Are you filing a VIN Correction for the return created in ExpressTruckTax or Are you filing VIN Correction for return created elsewhere or by paper. There is no difference between two options, except that using the first option, the system will pull your past return and show the VIN numbers you want to correct.
- The next step is to enter the wrong VIN and the correct VIN.
- You can make multiple VIN Corrections on the same return.
- When you are done, go thru the next screens and note that there is no tax due to IRS as the taxes are already paid when you filed the original 2290.
- Although, this service is free with no strings attached, the system will ask that you enter your credit card for verification. This is for the following reasons:
- IRS wants to make sure the filers are real and who they say they are.
- Since there is no tax, spammers and crooks can simply use this system to overwhelm IRS
- ExpressTruckTax is a very secure system and wants to make sure that real users are using it and they have a pleasant experience.
- After the credit card is verified, then it is time to transmit the return to the IRS.
- With ExpressTruckTax, it takes less than 5 minutes – day or night to get your corrected Schedule 1.
- You get your Schedule 1 by email and also by fax automatically if you have opted for it.
- During this process, if you have any questions, please call the US based customer support at 704-234-6005.
- Please be reminded that all this is for free.
What you can’t do?
- VIN Correction can be only done for Taxable or suspended vehicles and not for credit vehicles or for prior suspended vehicles.
- When you file VIN Correction form 2290, you can’t combine it with claiming credits on the same form.
- The wrong VIN must have been paid for in the original form 2290. Otherwise, IRS will assess penalties on top of the actual tax.
Corrections you can make on Form 2290
|Typo in the VIN||Choose VIN Correction amendment on Form 2290||Call ExpressTruckTax at 704-234-6005|
|Weight of the vehicle Increased||Choose Form 2290 amendment||Call ExpressTruckTax at 704-234-6005|
|Suspended vehicles exceeded mileage||Choose Form 2290 Amendment||Call ExpressTruckTax at 704-234-6005|
|EIN number or Business name is wrong||Can’t be changed using Form 2290||Call the IRS excise Hotline at 866.699.4096|