FAQs on Form 8849

I traded my truck for another truck. Can I transfer my taxes?

Yes! You can transfer the unused tax from your previous truck and apply to your new truck. To do this, log in to ExpressTruckTax.com, simply add your old truck as a credit vehicle when you e-file Form 2290 for your new vehicle.

Form 2290s are due the last day of the month following the vehicles first used month. For example, if a truck is first used in October then the Form 2290 is due by November 31st.

The technical answer for this is: The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax does not transfer between vehicles or owners. But the IRS will allow you to claim a credit for taxes paid on the old truck. But who wants to be technical? Just login to ExpressTruckTax.com and follow the steps listed above.

Our 100% US-based support team can be reached by phone, email, or live chat and is always happy to help with any questions that you may have.

Related Questions

What is Form 8849?

When is Form 8849 due?

Can I make a Form 8849 amendment?

Can I get a refund or credit for the taxes I paid if I drove my truck less than 5,000 miles last year?

My credits are greater than the taxes due. What should I do?

Last modified 21 Jun 2018 01:06 EST