FREE 2290 VIN Corrections

If you e-filed your Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax you can quickly and easily make FREE VIN corrections at any time!

2290 VIN Correction

E-file Free VIN Corrections

Need to correct your VIN? No problem! ExpressTruckTax offers FREE VIN Corrections to users who filed their HVUT with us. If you didn't e-file with us, don't worry, you can still quickly e-file Form 2290 Amendments at the lowest price possible.


What are VIN Corrections?

Let’s face it, everyone makes mistakes. Since Vehicle Identification Numbers are made of 17 characters consisting of numbers and letters, we know for sure that some typos are bound to happen. Maybe you entered 1 instead of I, which looks the same to the naked eye, but the IRS would catch your HVUT for having the wrong VIN.

Before you get stuck with a headache and the wrong VIN at the DMV or your carrier, double check your VIN and file a free correction with ExpressTruckTax if necessary. Since you have already filed your Form 2290 and paid the IRS to get your Schedule 1, we think you'd like to solve this issue as quickly and easily as possible.

ExpressTruckTax and the IRS work together

If you realize that you've made an error after e-filing your Form 2290, you can easily send a 2290 Amendment to the IRS to get your schedule 1 corrected. We've been working closely with the IRS since 2011 in order to provide free VIN Corrections and to make it quick and easy to file 2290 Amendments in order to help truckers quickly receive their stamped Schedule 1s and easily make corrections.

How do you file a VIN Correction?

After creating an account and choosing "Create Return," you will be presented with 3 options. Choose the “2290 amendment” option, which includes VIN correction. from here, you have two choices:

  • You need to file a VIN correction for a return created in ExpressTruckTax, or
  • You need to file a VIN correction for a return created elsewhere or by paper.
After that, you simply fill out the VIN correction information, transmit it to the IRS, and you'll receive your updated Schedule 1 in minutes.


VIN Corrections can be only done for taxable or suspended vehicles, not for credit vehicles or for prior suspended vehicles. When you file a VIN Correction Form 2290, you can't combine it with claimed credits on the same form. Also, the wrong VIN must have been paid for on your original Form 2290. Otherwise, the IRS will assess penalties on top of the actual tax.

Amendments You Can Make on Your Form 2290

Correction Type Support
Typo in the VIN Choose VIN Correction amendment on Form 2290 Call ExpressTruckTax at 704-234-6005
Weight of the vehicle Increased Choose Form 2290 amendment Call ExpressTruckTax at 704-234-6005
Suspended vehicles exceeded mileage Choose Form 2290 amendment Call ExpressTruckTax at 704-234-6005
Incorrect business name or EIN Can't be changed using Form 2290 Call the IRS Excise Hotline at 866.699.4096

These amendments are easily filed electronically through ExpressTruckTax. Know more