What is IFTA?
The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement between the lower 48 states of the United States and the Canadian provinces. It simplifies the reporting of fuel use by motor carriers that operate in more than one jurisdiction. IFTA must be
What is meant by IFTA
A vehicle is liable for IFTA taxes if it has a gross weight of more than 26,000 pounds and two axles.
What does base Jurisdiction mean?
- Base Jurisdiction refers to the state or province where your truck and information is registered.
- Operational control and records of the licensee’s qualified motor vehicle(s) are maintained and available for auditing purposes.
- Some mileage is accrued by qualified motor vehicles within a fleet of vehicles that travel through
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to file IFTA?
To file your IFTA report, you need to enter the total miles traveled per jurisdiction, totals gallons of fuel consumed per jurisdiction, total tax-paid gallons of fuel purchased per jurisdiction, and the current tax rate during the current quarter.
Who should file IFTA?
Commercial motor vehicles are required to file for IFTA if they travel between two or more jurisdictions and match the following criteria:
- Has two axles and gross vehicle weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds or
- Has two axles and a registered weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds or
- Has three or more axles or
- Has a combination weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds.
Visit https://www.trucklogics.com/ifta-reporting-requirements/ to know more about your IFTA Reporting.
What is the penalty for IFTA?
The penalty for not reporting before the quarterly deadline is $50 or 10% of the fuel tax you owe, depending on which amount is greater.
When should I file IFTA?
Find your IFTA filing due dates for 2022 from the below table.
Quarter Periods IFTA Quarterly Tax Return Due Dates* 1st Quarter (January- March 2022) May 02, 2022 2nd Quarter (April - June 2022) August 1, 2022 3rd Quarter (July - September 2022) October 31, 2022 4th Quarter (October - December 2022) January 31, 2023
IFTA reports are due by the last day of the month, after the end of each quarter. If the due date falls on a weekend or a state holiday, the due date is extended to the following business day.