600,000+ American truckers can’t be wrong!
Form 2290 Taxable Gross Weight
IRS Form 2290 - Amendments If the taxable gross weight of a vehicle increases during the period and the vehicle falls in a new category, you should file an amended return.
In this article, we cover the following topics:
1. What is Taxable Gross Weight Increase Amendment?
If the taxable gross weight of a vehicle is increased and falls into a different category during the tax year, an amendment has to be filed to report this increase in weight to IRS. File Form 2290 Taxable Gross Weight Increase Amendment to report this information to the IRS and also pay the remaining HVUT.
Filing your amendment with ExpressTruckTax is much easier and simpler as the adjusted HVUT for the increased taxable gross weight will be calculated automatically while filing your amended return.
2. How do I file Taxable Gross Weight Increase Amendment with ExpressTruckTax?
- Log in to your account.
- Click on "Start New Return" and select "Taxable Gross Weight Increase" under "Form 2290 Amendments".
- Choose whether you are filing Taxable Gross Weight Increase Amendment for a return that was originally filed with us.
- Provide vehicle information along with the increased taxable gross weight category.
- Your adjusted HVUT for the remaining year will be calculated automatically.
- Check your return and transmit it to the IRS.
If you had filed your original return with us, the information from the original return will be auto-updated in the Taxable Gross Weight Increase Amendment Form.
3. When do I file an amendment to my Form 2290?
You must report an increase in your vehicle’s taxable gross weight to the IRS by the end of the month following the weight change.
For instance, if the gross weight changes in September, the last day to file an amendment is October 31st.
When you file with ExpressTruckTax, Form 2290 Amendments are simple. Just enter the new weight of your vehicle and the month in which the weight increased and you will receive an updated stamped Schedule 1.
Click here learn more about "How to update IRS Form 2290 if gross taxable weight increased?"
4. How to add Taxable Gross Weight Vehicle?
Filing your Form 2290 Taxable Gross Weight Increase with ExpressTruckTax is much easier as our cloud-based software can auto-populate information from your original return. Here's a video on how to file your Taxable Gross Weight Increase Amendment with ExpressTruckTax: