600,000+ American truckers can’t be wrong!
Receive Your Stamped Schedule 1 Instantly
Quickly E-file IRS Form 2290 (HVUT) with ExpressTruckTax and receive your stamped Schedule 1 in minutes once the IRS accepts your return.
Free VIN Correction
Correct your Form 2290 VIN errors online. If you had e-filed your original Form 2290 return with ExpressTruckTax, file your Form 2290 VIN Correction for FREE!
Re-transmit 2290 for Free
Retransmit your rejected Form 2290 return filed with ExpressTruckTax for FREE.
That's it? Fantastic. This is the first time in 18 years I haven't had to go to the IRS office. I love you guys!
- Debbie L, Alabama
Get Started Today with ExpressTruckTax
What Information is Required to E-file Form 8849 Online?
- 1. Name, EIN, Total refund
- 2. Earliest and Latest dates
- 3. Detailed tax refund information with an explanation
E-file your 8849 in minutes! Claim refund of taxes paid for sold, destroyed, stolen, and low-mileage credit vehicles.
How to e-file your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Form 8849 online
Choose December as the last month of the Tax Year.
Add vehicle information; specify stolen/destroyed/sold, low mileage or tax overpayment.
Review & Transmit Form 8849 to the IRS.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Form 8849 and its Schedules?
The Form 8849 is used to file a claim for a refund of excise taxes, or to claim certain refunds, such as when a vehicle was stolen, destroyed, or sold.
Generally, you can file a claim for a refund of excise taxes using Form 8849 along with the appropriate schedule form.
- Schedule 1: Nontaxable Use of Fuels
- Schedule 2: Sales by Registered Ultimate Vendors
- Schedule 3: Certain Fuel Mixtures and the Alternative Fuel Credit
- Schedule 5: Section 4081(e) Claims
- Schedule 6: Other Claims including the credit claim from Form 2290
- Choose your IRS payment method
- Schedule 8: Registered Credit Card Issuers
Use Schedules 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8 to claim certain fuel related refunds such as nontaxable uses (or sales) of fuels. A list of the schedules by number and title can be found on the Form 2290.
Schedule 6 is intended for claims not reportable on Schedules 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8, including refunds of excise taxes reported on:
- Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return;
- Form 730, Monthly Tax Return for Wagers
- Form 11-C, Occupational Tax and Registration Return for Wagering and
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return
Who Should Use Form 8849 Schedule 6?
- Anyone who overpaid on their Form 2290
- Owners of vehicles sold, stolen or destroyed after the Form 2290 tax period
- Owners of vehicles that traveled 5,000 miles or less on public highways during the Form 2290 tax period
- Owners of vehicles that traveled 7,500 miles or less for agricultural purposes during the Form 2290 tax period
Who Shouldn’t File Form 8849?
Form 8849 should not be used to make adjustments to liability reported on a Form 720. Instead, use Form 720X, the Amended Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return. Similarly, do not use Form 8849 to claim what you took or will take as a credit on Schedule C (Form 720), Form 730, Form 2290, or Form 4136.