Who is required to file IFTA?
If your "qualified motor vehicle" travels between two or more of the member jurisdictions (48 of the United States and 10 Canadian provinces) you must have an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license and decals. If you are required to carry an IFTA license and decal.
Qualified motor vehicles include vehicles that have:
- Two axles and a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
- Two axles and a registered weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
- Three or more axles regardless of weight.
- A combination weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
Recreational vehicles are exempt from IFTA Fuel Tax Reporting.
- Your base jurisdiction is also where your truck and information is registered.
- Where your operational control and records are maintained or can be made available in case of an audit.
- The state in which your qualified motor vehicle is traveling through within the fleet, accruing mileage.
What do I need to file an IFTA return?
The following information is required to complete an IFTA quarterly tax return:
- Total miles, taxable and nontaxable, traveled by the licensee's qualified motor vehicles in all jurisdictions, IFTA and non-IFTA, including trip permit miles
- Total gallons of fuel consumed, taxable and nontaxable, by the licensee's qualified motor vehicles in all jurisdictions, IFTA and non-IFTA
- Total miles and taxable miles traveled in each member jurisdiction
- Taxable gallons consumed in each member jurisdiction
- Tax-paid gallons purchased in each member jurisdiction
- Current tax rate for each member jurisdiction
Visit https://www.trucklogics.com/ifta-reporting-requirements/ to know more about your IFTA Reporting Requirements.
When is an IFTA Report due?
IFTA must be reported by the last day of the month, after the end of each quarter. Use the table below to find your IFTA Filing dates for 2022.
|Quarter Periods||IFTA Quarterly Tax Return Due Dates*|
|1st Quarter (January- March 2022)||May 2, 2022|
|2nd Quarter (April - June 2022)||August 1, 2022|
|3rd Quarter (July - September 2022)||October 31, 2022|
|4th Quarter (October - December 2022)||January 31, 2023|
* If the due date falls on a weekend or a state holiday, the due date is extended to the following business day.
Generate Online IFTA Reports in a Few Steps
Create your account
Add business details
Enter base jurisdiction
Add vehicle details
Enter miles traveled & fuel records
Generate your IFTA report
IFTA Fuel Tax Calculator App
Curious how much you will owe in IFTA tax? Download the free IFTA Fuel Tax Calculator App in the App Store and Google Play for the most convenient way to calculate the IFTA tax you owe each quarter!
Download our IFTA - Fuel Tax Calculator App!
- Add your base jurisdiction, IFTA quarter, fuel type, miles traveled, fuel purchased in each jurisdiction.
- Enter your email address and we will send your fuel tax summary information with a convenient link to generate your report!