The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) is a free service from the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
All federal taxes can be paid using EFTPS. You can make payments via this Web site, a voice response system, or special channels designed for tax professionals, payroll services, and financial institutions.
Quick, secure, and accurate, EFTPS is available by phone or online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can schedule a business payment up to 120 days in advance or an individual payment up to 365 days in advance.
Here's how it works:
- Taxpayer Identification Number (your Employer Identification Number if you're enrolling as a business or your Social Security Number if you're enrolling as an individual).
- Banking account number and routing number.
- Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents.
Then, simply follow the instructions: In seven business days, you will receive your PIN in the mail.
- Make your payment. Go to www.eftps.gov and select "Make a Payment"
- Log in with your EIN/SSN, PIN, and Internet password. Enter the payment information in the step-by-step screens.
- When you're finished, save a copy of the Payment Confirmation page. This contains your EFT Acknowledgment Number that acts as a receipt for your payment instruction.
For any problems or to get the PIN Call Customer Service at 1.800.555.8778.
How this applies to Form 2290 (HVUT)
This is one of the ways to send the taxes to IRS. The other ways using the Electronic Funds withdrawal (EFW) or by sending the check or money order.
Note that, if you have chosen EFTPS, you need to schedule the payment and be sure to schedule the payment at least a day before the taxes are due.
ExpressTruckTax.com supports all three ways of payments to IRS. Give it a try.