Who Should File Form 8849?
Form 8849 is used to file a claim for a refund of excise taxes, or to claim certain fuel-related refunds, including incidents when a vehicle was stolen, destroyed, or sold during the tax period.
Generally, you can file a claim for a refund of excise taxes using Form 8849 along with the appropriate schedule.
- Schedule 1: Nontaxable Use of Fuels
- Schedule 2: Sales by Registered Ultimate Vendors
- Schedule 3: Certain Fuel Mixtures and the Alternative Fuel Credit
- Schedule 5: Section 4081(e) Claims
- Schedule 6: Other Claims including the credit claim from Form 2290
- Schedule 8: Registered Credit Card Issuers
Use Schedules 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8 to claim certain fuel-related refunds such as nontaxable uses (or sales) of fuels. A list of the schedules by number and title can be found on Form 2290.
Schedule 6 is intended for claims not reportable on Schedules 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8, including refunds of excise taxes reported on:
Who Should Use Schedule 6?
- Anyone who overpaid previously on Form 2290
- Owners of vehicles sold, stolen or destroyed after the Form 2290 tax period
- Owners of vehicles that traveled 5,000 miles or less on public highways during the tax period for which the tax was paid on Form 2290
- Owners of vehicles that traveled 7,500 miles or less for agricultural purposes during the tax period for which the tax was paid on Form 2290
Who Shouldn’t File Form 8849?
Form 8849 should not be used to make adjustments to liability reported on a Form 720 that was filed for prior quarters. Instead, use Form 720X, the Amended Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return. If you need to claim amounts that you took or will take as a credit on Schedule C (Form 720), Form 730, Form 2290, or Form 4136, do not use Form 8849 to do so.
E-File Your Form 8849 With ExpressTruckTax
ExpressTruckTax offers E-Filing of Form 8849 Schedule 6 and will automatically generate Form 8849 when the credits on your Form 2290 exceed the tax due.
We offer bundle pricing so that you can E-File both Form 2290 and Form 8849 for one low price.
Filing a claim for a refund of excise taxes
with ExpressTruckTax is simple!
Get Started Today
How to E-file Form 8849 (Schedule 6) with ExpressTruckTax?
- Step 1: Login or Create a free account with ExpressTruckTax
- Step 2: Choose Form 8849
- Step 3: Choose December as the Tax Year Ending Month
- Step 4: Add vehicle information; specify stolen/destroyed/sold, low mileage or tax overpayment
- Step 5: Review & Transmit Form 8849 to the IRS.