Tax Overpaid Credits
If you filed your Form 2290 and overpaid your taxes by mistake, you can claim a refund of the overpayment easily using ExpressTruckTax. Our tax calculations are accurate, helping you figure out the exact amount the IRS owes you.
1.What are tax overpaid credits?
If you make an accidental overpayment on your HVUT, the IRS will issue a refund on the additional amount paid.
Some common mistakes which lead to overpayment are:
- Choosing the wrong weight category by mistake/ You will be charged a higher tax amount than you are supposed to pay.
- Choosing the wrong First Used Month (FUM).
- Filing your Form 2290 with the wrong tax year, Employer Identification Number (EIN), or business information.
2.How can I claim tax overpaid credits using ExpressTruckTax?
If you need to claim a tax overpayment refund credit, you must
file Form 8849 and give an explanation as to why you overpaid your HVUT. Here’s how to file Form 8849:
- Log in to your ExpressTruckTax account.
- Click on “Start Form 8849” under “Start New Return”.
- Choose the ending month of your tax year.
- Enter the required vehicle information on the overpayment of
- You must also provide an explanation of why you overpaid
- Follow the prompts to complete your return and transmit it to
The IRS will mail you a check on your credit amount within 4-6 weeks of the date you transmit your return.
3.What should I do if I file Form 2290 with the wrong information?
If you file Form 2290 with the wrong business information, weight category, tax year, or any other information on your Schedule 1 (except VIN), you must file another Form 2290 to correct the wrong information.
If you file another tax return with the same vehicle and business information the IRS will likely reject your return as a duplicate. So, you must file a Form 8849 return to report that you have filed with the wrong data and to claim credits for an overpayment on the return with the incorrect information. You must follow the steps listed above and transmit your Form 8849.
4.What should I put in the “Explanation to the IRS” field?
The “Explanation to the IRS” field is used to explain why you are claiming a refund on your HVUT amount. If you made a mistake while filing your Form 2290, you must mention it in this field.