600,000+ American truckers can’t be wrong!
Pay your IRS HVUT Form 2290 Tax
When you e-file Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax, we will accurately calculate your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). The IRS offers several ways for filers to pay their tax amount.
In this article, we cover the following topics:
1.What are the IRS payment options?
Form 2290 filers can pay their HVUT using any of the following options.
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Check or Money Order
- Credit/Debit Card - Temporarily suspended by the IRS until January 1, 2021
2.Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
EFW is the preferred e-pay option offered by the IRS exclusively for taxpayers who e-file their tax returns. If you choose this option, the IRS will debit the HVUT amount you owe directly from your bank account within 1 or 2 business days after your Form 2290 is transmitted.
You will be required to provide your bank account number and your bank routing number. Make sure to double-check your bank information, as errors in your bank routing number may lead to
||The IRS will deduct the amount within 2 or 3 business days. You will not be able to delay the tax payment until the deadline.|
3.Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
For the EFTPS payment option, it is the filer’s responsibility to schedule the payment. To do that, you must visit www.eftps.gov and schedule to initiate the payment yourself, after you e-file the return. You will receive your stamped Schedule 1 instantly irrespective of your payment status.
If you do not have an EFTPS account, create one for free by visiting www.eftps.gov or contacting
1-800-555-4477. It might take up to 10-15 days to set up an EFTPS account.
You must schedule your EFTPS payment by at least 8 p.m. EST on the day before the due date, to make sure your payment goes through within the deadline.
4.Check or Money Order
You can send your HVUT payment directly to the IRS if you choose Check or Money Order as the payment option. You will receive your stamped Schedule 1 immediately irrespective of your payment status. But make sure the payment reaches the IRS before the 2290 deadline.
- Make your check payable to the United States Treasury.
- DO NOT send cash as your HVUT payment.
- Enter your Employer Identification Number (EIN), First Used Month (FUM), tax year, and “Form 2290” on your check or money order.
- Print your 2290-V payment voucher on Form 2290 and send it to the IRS along with your check.
- DO NOT staple or use paperclips to affix your 2290-V voucher with your check.
- You must use the U.S. Postal Service to send your HVUT payment to the IRS as private delivery services cannot deliver items to an IRS P.O. box address.
- Mail the check to the following address.
Internal Revenue Service,P.O. Box 932500,
Louisville, KY 40293-2500
5.HVUT Payment Due date
The deadline to file your Form 2290 return is on the last day of the month following your First Used Month (FUM) in a tax year. The current tax year begins on July 1, 2020, and ends on
June 30, 2021.
For the truckers operating from the beginning of the tax year, August 31, 2020, is the
Form 2290 due date.