Pay your IRS HVUT Form 2290 Tax
When you e-file 2290 with ExpressTruckTax, we will accurately calculate your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). The IRS offers several ways for filers to pay their tax amount.
1.What are the IRS payment options?
Form 2290 filers can pay their HVUT using any of the following options.
- report the taxes for suspended vehicles that exceeded the mileage limit
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Check or Money Order
- Credit/Debit Card
Want to know exactly how much your Form 2290 Tax?
Click Here to Calculate your Accurate 2290 tax amount by simply entering a few key details.
2.Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
EFW is the preferred e-pay option offered by the IRS exclusively for taxpayers who e-file their tax returns. If you choose this option, the IRS will debit the HVUT amount you owe directly from your bank account within 1 or 2 business days after your Form 2290 is transmitted.
You will be required to provide your bank account number and your bank routing number. Make sure to double-check your bank information, as errors in your bank routing number may lead to 2290 rejections.
- The tax can be paid while filing the return. No additional steps required.
- No additional charges.
- The IRS will deduct the amount within 2 or 3 business days. You will not be able to delay the tax payment until the deadline.
3.Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
For the EFTPS payment option, it is the filer’s responsibility to schedule the payment. To do that, you must visit www.eftps.gov and schedule to initiate the payment yourself, after you file 2290 online. You will receive your stamped Schedule 1 instantly irrespective of your payment status.
If you do not have an EFTPS account, create one for free by visiting www.eftps.gov or contacting 1-800-555-4477. It might take up to 10-15 days to set up an EFTPS account.
You must schedule your EFTPS payment by at least 8 p.m. EST on the day before the due date, to make sure your payment goes through within the deadline.
- Your Schedule 1 will be available as soon as you finish filing, even if you have not made your tax payment. You can decide when to pay the tax due to the IRS before the due date.
- No additional charges.
- You will have to login to your EFTPS account and schedule the payment after you finish filing.
- If you do not have an EFTPS account, there are some additional steps required and it will take 15 days to create one.
4.Check or Money Order
You can send your HVUT payment directly to the IRS if you choose Check or Money Order as the payment option. You will receive your stamped Schedule 1 immediately irrespective of your payment status. But make sure the payment reaches the IRS before the 2290 deadline.
P.O. Box 932500,
Louisville, KY 40293-2500
- Your Schedule 1 will be available as soon as you finish filing, even if you have not sent your tax payment. You can decide when to pay the tax due to the IRS before the due date.
- You will have to draft a check or money order and mail it to the IRS after you finish the filing.
- You will need a printer to print the 2290-V and there will be additional charges to mail the form.
5.Debit/Credit card payment
You can pay using either a credit or debit card. However, payment processor fees may apply for certain credit/debit cards. Learn more: IRS.gov/PayusingCard.
6.HVUT Payment Due date
The deadline to file your Form 2290 return is on the last day of the month following your First Used Month (FUM) in a tax year. The current tax year begins on July 1, 2022, and ends on
June 30, 2023.
For the truckers operating from the beginning of the tax year, August 31, 2022, is the Form 2290 due date.